The health benefits of cashew nuts – cashew nuts can be used as a delicacy and also contain a whole lot of benefits. Below are the health benefits of cashew nuts
Cashews are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. They have a buttery, sweet and salty taste. They also contain antioxidants, phytochemicals and proteins. Cashews can be eaten on their own as snacks and can as well be used in cooking. They aid in the formation of red blood cells and encourage a better immune system. They are kidney-shaped seeds and are widely cultivated in places that have tropical climates.
Cashews are a good source of oleic acid and provide a good quantity of monounsaturated fat and low amounts of polyunsaturated fats with no harmful cholesterol, if consumed appropriately.
The health benefits of cashew nuts
- Healthy heart: Cashews are a good source of healthy dietary fats, which are essential for our body. These healthy fats include monounsaturated fats (MUFA) and polyunsaturated fats (PUFA). They are good for the heart and help to reduce bad cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) if consumed in appropriate quantities. The inclusion of nuts such as cashews, fish and vegetable oils including olive oil and canola oil in the diet can provide these healthy unsaturated fats to the body.
- Reduce risk of diabetes: Cashew nuts contain low amount of sugar and no harmful cholesterol which makes them safe for diabetic patients; it also helps in lowering the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Promote the formation of red blood cells: They are rich in copper, which helps in the metabolism of iron, aids in the formation of red blood cells and helps in keeping the bones and immune system healthy. It is also vital for the nervous and skeletal system of the body. A deficiency in copper may result in osteoporosis, irregular heartbeat and anaemia.
- Prevent cancer: Cashews contain a type of flavonol called proanthrocyanidins, which have been shown to restrict the growth of cancerous cells and starve tumours. Also, cashews are a good source of copper, which helps remove free radicals from the body.
Join our community. Like us now
- Prevent gallstones: Gallstones are stone-like deposits that usually consists of cholesterol that accumulates in the gall bladder. The regular inclusion of healthy nuts like cashews can help to lower the risk of formation of gallstones.
- Boost immune system: Cashew nuts contain zinc which plays a vital role in strengthening the immune system against microbial infections, protein synthesis and the healing of wounds. It is extremely important during pregnancy for the growth of the baby and the developmental years of childhood to maintain a stable state of the body.