The health benefits of black seed oil – Discover the amazing health benefits of this plant-based oil.
Black seed oil is made from the seeds of the black cumin (Nigella Sativa) plant. It has been grown for centuries for its aromatic and flavourful seeds that can be used as a spice or as a herbal medicine. Black seed oil is also commonly called black cumin seed oil. Black seed oil has been shown to have antioxidant properties. These can help relieve inflammation inside the body and on the skin. Black seed oil benefits include improving immune function, balancing cholesterol, fighting infections, fighting harmful pathogens, reducing inflammation, reducing
The seed of the plant has been used in traditional medicines and food for millennia, with a similar role to other spices found in the fennel plant. The use of the oil is considerably different to consumption of the seed, as it is approximately 30% oil, and thus we need to consider the distilled oil as somewhat separate to the seed from which it is produced. The seeds have been used in curries, spread bread, and five spices among other foods.
The health benefits of black seed oil
- Improves skin, eye, and hair health: Black seed oil improves melanin regulation and the health benefits associated with it. Melanin is an important biological compound present in a number of superficial tissues. It is useful in the prevention of damage from low-level radiation – usually in form of sunburn or excessive UV radiation from sunbathing/tanning. Black seed oil can also improve the condition of skin suffering from low-level dermatological problems such as dryness and eczema.
- Fights type 2 diabetes: Consuming healthy fats are great choices for reducing blood sugar, cholesterols, and improving the conditions for those who suffer from type 2 diabetes. However, effects of black seed are even more impressive than many similar oils due to the improvements that it has shown on the contributing processes in the pancreas, as well as a reduction in blood sugar makers and an improvement in the concentration and sensitivity to insulin.
- Improves liver health and function: The liver is not only responsible for producing the chemicals that keep us alive and healthy, but it also concerts toxins and other harmful chemicals into more tolerable compounds to be excreted. This means that the liver endures a serious amount of mechanical and chemical stress to keep us alive and the poor diet and lifestyle choices that we make are generally going to catch up with our lives as we age. Black seed oil may be one of a number of plant-based oils and supplements that can be used to improve the health and function of the liver.
- Reduces inflammation: Phytochemicals like “TQ” can also improve the body’s inflammation suppressing responses both at a superficial level (when applied on the skin) and through consumption as a food.
- Reduces risk of cancers: The phytochemicals mentioned above also possess a number of other qualities that help them reduce the risk of cancer. The mixture of antioxidant, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory effects promote a healthy internal environment (preventing cancer in the first place), reduce the possibility of cell damage, and reduce the chance of precursor illnesses that might damage the immune system. Black seed oil isn’t going to cure cancer, but it may provide you with an increased safety if consumed over a long period of time.
- Fights harmful pathogens: Phytochemicals are the chemicals found uniquely in plant foods and are incredibly important for proper health and well-being. Phytochemicals fight a range of pathogens, including the risk of illness, disease, and mortality. Black seed oil is incredibly densely packed with phytochemicals and anti-fungal agents. These are great at dealing with the threats posed by tiny fungus particles – primarily those found in foods – and confer 100% protection from many standard doses of these pathogens.
- Improves immune function: The spice and the concentrated oil from the black seed are able to improve immune function in a modest degree when used in culinary doses and cooking methods. Adding black seed oil to curries and cooking processes can be hugely beneficial to health.
- Balances cholesterol: The good fats found in black seed oil are effective at increasing the ratio of HDL to LDL cholesterols in the blood. This will reduce blood pressure, improve the metabolism of fat, and reduce the chance of health problems like atherosclerosis, where the buildup of fat based plaques in the bloodstream reduces blood flow and damages the cardiac system.