The dangers of eating canned foods – A large amount of food that is found in supermarkets is canned which can cause harm to your health. So, why not go for natural foods instead of these dangerous canned foods
A canned food is likely to have BPA (bisphenol A) – a chemical known to cause breast cancer, reproductive problems, heart disease and other chronic health problems. Cans have a special covering made with this chemical. It accumulates in the body and its effects are not good. Eating canned foods has become a habit for many of us. This chemical (BPA) kills rats in laboratories even at smaller portions. This chemical causes hormone imbalances and a wide variety of health issues. You can try glass jars instead of cans for the storing of food.
What most people are unaware of is that most often foods are put into aluminium cans, then sealed, and then cooked, supposedly to retain freshness. But it will certainly retain the aluminium free radicals hanging around after heating and contaminating the food. Aluminum accumulation in the body can cause memory problem like Alzheimer’s. Some people believe that the plastic lining of the aluminium cans is supposed to prevent corrosion and contaminating food with aluminium. But the truth is, most of the time, these plastic liners can’t completely protect the food against aluminium since can leak aluminium when heated and while they are sealed, they will contaminate the food.
Also, an extensive amount of sodium (salt) is used to keep the preservatives found in canned food from rotting so that it can keep the food from rotting. These preservatives are not drastically harmful towards healthy people, but they are harmful to pregnant women, children, babies, elderly, or anyone that has a chronic disease.
The truth is that these can foods like pinto beans, tuna, fruit juice, or vegetables could put your health at risk. Instead of canned foods, go for foods stored in glass jars. Do not consume fruits, vegetables, soups, or grains in cans, you can simply buy the fresh ones.
Diseases caused by consuming canned foods
- Cardiovascular disease (heart disease)
- Kidney disease
- Breast cancer
- Reproductive problems
- Botulism-is a rare, but serious illness caused by Clostridium botulinum. The germ is found in soil and can survive, grow, and produce toxin in a sealed canned food. This toxin can affect your nerves, paralyze you and even cause death. A small taste of food containing this toxin can be deadly.
- Skin and eye irritation
- Nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea
- Brain tumors
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Adverse pregnancy outcomes, etc.
The dangers of eating canned foods
Avoid these canned foods
- Canned fruits and fruit juice
- Canned vegetables and vegetable juice
- Canned drinks
- Canned soups
- Canned fishes (like sardines, geisha etc.)
- Pinto beans or canned baked beans
- Corn beef
- Canned sweet corn
- Canned grains
- Canned tomato sauce, etc.
Join our community. Like us now
Any food stored in cans should be avoided as it causes a lot of harm to your health. You can go for natural foods like;
- Natural fruits and vegetables
- Natural fruit juices and vegetable juice
- Fresh fish
- Kidney beans or cowpea
- A well-cooked soup
- Whole grains
- Well-cooked tomato sauce
- Natural drinks like zobo, kunu aya, almond milk, kunu drink, etc
- Nuts like cashew, walnut, groundnut, or any other natural nuts
There are a whole lot of natural foods you can consume. Consuming these natural foods is the best as it contains the nutrients you need. It is free from chemicals and other harmful substances that are used in processing and preservation of foods. Always have a nice combination of these natural foods in order to meet nutritional needs.