The amazing health benefits of African star apple – This amazing fruit has many impressive health benefits which include its vitamin content, weight maintenance and much more.
African star apple which is also known as Udara in Ibo and Agbalumo in Yoruba is a fruit enjoyed by the Nigerians. The fleshy pulp of the fruit is eaten especially as a snack and its fruit has been found to have higher contents of ascorbic acid than orange and guava. It is also an excellent source of vitamins, irons, flavour to diets.
African star apple can be useful in preventing and treating heart diseases. The bark is used for the treatment of fever and malaria, while the leaf is used as an emollient and for the treatment of skin eruption, stomachache and diarrhea.
Being a season fruit, it is best to consume this fruit whenever it is in the season (dry season: between December and March). Loaded with vitamin C, mother nature knows why it is provided during the dry season, probably to boost the immune system. However, it is advised to be consumed in moderation due to the acidic nature in the mouth, this quality will not qualify it as acid since it is actually alkalizing when it gets into the body except on contact with our mouth and delicate stomach lining. Below are the impressive health benefits of African star apple (Agbalumo).
The amazing health benefits of African star apple
- Agbalumo is a good source of calcium. The calcium content in it serves as a source of strength for the bones and teeth.
- It is a good source of vitamin A and C. This helps to prevent gum diseases and also helps fight other diseases in the body.
- It can be used as a natural remedy to treat a sore throat, toothaches and constipation.
- It helps in weight maintenance. The fibre content in it helps in reducing your appetite and prevent you from eating too much.
- It helps in lowering blood sugar and cholesterol, thus, could be useful in preventing heart-related diseases.
- The leaves are useful in the treatment of diarrhea. Research believes that consuming this fruit can help fight cancer.
Join our community. Like us now
- It contains antioxidant booster to remove free radicals from oxidative stress disorders.
- The different parts of this fruit are used for different purposes in traditional medicine. The bark of the tree according to researchers is used traditionally to treat yellow fever and malaria, the leaves to treat wounds and stomachache, while the seed is used to treat skin infection.
- It contains phytochemicals, such as Tannins, flavonoids, terpenoids, proteins, carbohydrate and resins.
While this fruit helps keep you healthy, it does not stop you from seeing your doctor