Oha soup is a Nigerian soup recipe from Eastern Nigeria. It is one of those native soup you will enjoy. Below are the ingredients used in cooking Oha soup and the cooking steps.
- 3 pieces of cocoyam
- 2 handful of Oha soup
- 2 wraps of ogiri
- 1 1/2 cooking spoon of palm oil
- 1 piece of head stock fish
- Assorted meat (or any choice of meat)
- Dry fish (mangala)
- Uziza leaves
- Beef stock
- Ofor or achi
- Seasoning cube
- Fresh pepper
- Salt to taste
- Wash the cocoyam with water and cook until it is soft. Peel off the outer part and pound with mortal and pestle.
- Grind the crayfish and pepper. Remove the Oha leaves from the stem and shred the leaves with your fingers.
- Parboil the meat with the necessary ingredients. Allow to cook for 10 to 15 minutes before adding the hot water washed dry fish and stock fish, cook until it is tender.
- Add more water, and then the palm oil, ground crayfish, pepper, seasoning cube, and salt to taste. At this point, it should have a soupy taste, though watery.
- Add the pounded cocoyam, then add the achi or ofor. Also add the ogiri and allow to boil.
- Stir and allow to dissolve before adding the uziza leaves, then add the oha leaves after a minute. Stir and cook for another 3 to 5 mins. Your oha soup is ready!
Serve with eba, wheat, fufu, or pounded yam