How to cook ogbono soup – Delicious and healthy!
Ogbono soup, also known as draw soup is a popular soup in Nigeria made with ogbono seeds (wild African bush mango seeds). It has a slimy texture just like okra. Some people like their ogbono soup plain without vegetables. Others love it with vegetables. Some group of people love their ogbono soup cooked with okra. While some love to add egusi to it.
- Assorted meat and fish: which include beef,
shaki, dry fish, stock fish
- 2 handfuls of
- 3 cooking spoons of palm oil
- Vegetables (spinach,
ugu, or bitter leaf) – sliced
- 2 tablespoon of crayfish (ground)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- Seasoning cubes
- Hot water
- Cook the assorted meat with the seasoning cube, onion, and salt. Remember to cook the shaki first, then add the beef and stock fish when almost done.
- Pour the palm oil into a clean dry pot. Put on the gas and melt the oil at low heat. Remember, only melt the oil, do not allow to heat up.
- Once melted, turn off the heat and add the ground ogbono. Use your spoon to dissolve the ogbono in the oil.
- When all the ogbono powder has completely mixed with the oil, add the meat/fish stock. Set the heat of your gas to low and start stirring. You will notice the ogbono start to thicken and draw.
- Keep stirring till the ogbono has completely absorbed the meat stock.
- Add a small quantity of hot water and stir till the ogbono has absorbed all the water.
- Make sure that the heat is set low. Cover the pot to one side and start cooking. Once it starts to simmer, stir every 2-3 minutes for 20 minutes to avoid the ogbono burning – e.g every 3 minutes, open the pot and stir very well, scraping the ogbono that sticks to the base of the pot, cover the pot and cook for another 3 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the ogbono should be well cooked and you will begin to perceive the nice flavour and aroma.
- Add the assorted meat and fish, ground crayfish, salt, and pepper. If the ogbono becomes thicker from the cooking, add a little bit of water and stir very well. Cover and cook till all the content is well heated up.
- When the content of the pot have been heated up, add the vegetables. Stir very well, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Leave to stand for 5 mins and serve with any choice of swallow.