Health benefits of eating cucumbers – below are the impressive health benefits of eating cucumbers.
Cucumbers are known to contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol – these three lignans have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of cardiovascular disease as well as several cancer types. They are widely used in traditional diets as well as spas across the world for a reason which is, they are good for health. It has a high water content that helps keep your body hydrated, and the low calorie content makes it a great choice for weight loss diet.
Health benefits of eating cucumbers
- Heart health: cucumbers contain potassium which can help lower blood pressure. A higher intake of potassium is associated with lower rates of stroke and also reduce the risk of total cardiovascular disease.
- Protect the brain: cucumbers contain anti-inflammatory substance called fisetin which pays an important role in brain health. It would have the ability to reduce the impact of age-related neurological diseases on brain function. It also help to maintain cognitive function in people with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Healthy weight: cucumbers contain low calories and they also contain fibre in the skin which can help maintain a healthy weight.
- Prevent constipation: since they are rich in water and their skin contain insoluble fibre, both water and fibre help food to move through the digestive tract quicker and more easily, thereby preventing constipation.
- Healthy bones: cucumbers contain a good amount of vitamin K which is essential for bone health. Vitamin K is also important for improving calcium absorption in the bones.
Join our community. Like us now
- Reduce bad breath: bad breath is usually caused by bacteria in the mouth. Fibre and water-rich vegetables like cucumbers help boost your mouth saliva production, which in turn help wash away the bacteria that cause the odour in the mouth.
- Reduce the risk of cancer: cucumbers contain polyphenols called lignans which can potentially reduce the risk of certain cancers. They can help lower inflammatory response in the body.
- Healthy skin: cucumbers have been shown to be effective as a potential anti-wrinkle agent in cosmetic products, protecting your skin from the effects of ageing.
- Manage diabetes: cucumbers have been useful for diabetic patients. They possess a hormone required by the beta cells during insulin production. The glycemic index in cucumbers is actually zero. The presence of carbohydrates and their result on the body is measured by the quantity glycemic index. The carbohydrates present in cucumbers can be easily digested by diabetic patients. Thus, consuming cucumbers keep the glucose level in check.
While this food helps you stay healthy, it does not stop you from seeing your doctor.