The health benefits of almonds – Almond is a very popular fruit that is filled with important nutrients. Below is the list of interesting health benefits of almonds.
Almonds are filled with a lot of nutrients that undoubtedly gives them the title of super foods. Compared to other foods, almonds are fairly low in calories and loaded with crucial vitamins and other nutrients. They are known to be among the list of best foods for preventing diseases. Consumption of almonds can provide you with great skin, healthy digestive system and normal cholesterol levels. They are a tasty and nutritious snack with plenty of healthy benefits. They can be eaten on their own; raw or roasted, they can be sliced, flaked, slivered as flour, oil, butter or almond milk. The almond that we think of as a nut is technically the seed of the fruit of the almond tree, a medium-size tree that bears fragrant pink and white flowers. The seed of the almond fruit is what we refer to as the almond nut.
The health benefits of almonds
- Prevent cancer: Almonds contain fibre which helps in detoxifying the body. It helps the food to move through the digestive system more efficiently, thereby cleanses the digestive system. They prevent colon cancer as they have high fibre content. They are also an excellent reserve of vitamin E, Phytochemicals and flavonoids which control the progression of breast cancer.
- Lower cholesterol levels: Almonds are rich in monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats, which facilitates in lowering the LDL (bad) cholesterol. They help to raise HDL (good) cholesterol levels.
- Boost the immune system: Almonds help in improving the alkalinity of your system. Being a great source of alkali materials, they improve the ability of your immune system to ward off diseases and bad health conditions. They contain high amount of vitamin E – a powerful antioxidant which helps to eliminate the harmful free radicals from the body which promote chronic diseases and damage the body’s organ system.
- Reduce weight gain: Almonds are a great option for those who want to lose weight. Since they contain healthy monounsaturated fats, they help satisfy the appetite and prevent overeating. They contain high dietary fibre which regularizes bowel movements which aids in weight loss and maintenance of overall health through elimination of toxins.
Join our community. Like us now
- Healthy heart: Being a rich source of minerals like potassium and magnesium, vitamin E, folic acid and monounsaturated fats, they can significantly reduce the chances of heart diseases.
- Prevents diabetes: Almonds have a stumpy glycemic index (GI). They have the ability to decrease the after-meal escalation in blood sugar, thereby assisting in stabilizing blood sugar levels and offer protection against diabetes.
- Energy booster: Almonds are rich in manganese, riboflavin and copper, which help in manufacturing energy.
- Prevent birth defects: Almonds contain folic acid (folate), which is a confirmed defense against birth defects. Folic acid plays a big role in healthy cell growth and tissue configuration – it is very important for the healthy growth of the fetus.
- Healthy brain: Almonds contain riboflavin and L-Carnitine, nutrients that help in the growth of the brain cells. They also contain phenylalanine – a brain boosting chemical that aids our cognitive functions.
- Healthy bones and teeth: Almonds are rich in calcium and phosphorus which help to avert osteoporosis and strengthen the bones and teeth. They also provide other nutrients that improve bone mineral density and strengthen the skeletal system.
The health benefits of almonds
- Healthy skin: Almonds are rich in antioxidants which cleanse your skin by eliminating toxins and free radicals from your body. They are also rich in alpha-tocopherol which is a major source of vitamin E. This vitamin helps to nourish your skin, keeping it smooth and glowing. The various antioxidants in almonds possess anti-ageing properties which help in reducing fine lines and wrinkles. You can achieve all these by using almond oil. They are effective in reducing the appearance of acne, blackheads and whiteheads. Almond oil also helps in controlling dark circles under your eyes.
- Healthy hair: Both consumption and topical application of almonds can provide you a healthy hair. Almond oil is particular beneficial in this regard and can help you in getting rid of all kinds of hair problems.
While this fruit helps keep you healthy, it does not stop you from seeing your doctor.