Kunu zaki is a local drink made from millet. It is a drink with a lot of nutritional benefits. To make kunu zaki you need:
- 3 cups of de-hulled millet
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cloves
- 1 teaspoon of peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon of grain of paradise
- 1 medium sized of sweet potato (optional)
- Sugar (to taste)
- Place the millet seed in a large bowl and allow to ferment by soaking for 24hrs. Discard the water and wash the millet thoroughly.
- Place the millet and other spices in a blender, blend until very smooth. Add some water to the mixture in order to make sieving easier.
- Sieve the mixture and allow to settle for 3-5hrs. You will get a clear liquid above and a thick paste at the bottom.
- Discard the clear liquid and leave only the thick paste. Divide the paste into two separate bowls. Add hot boiled water into one and stir (mix for consistency before adding hot boiled water).
- Then combine the two separated content together again and stir. Continue to add water until you have gotten the thickness you want.
- Then you sieve the whole content to remove chaff.
- Add sugar to taste, refrigerate, and serve chilled with any choice of snack.
Do you have a question? Post on this comment box, we'll reply