Health benefits of groundnuts – Groundnuts, also known as peanuts are a very healthy snack. Despite their small nature, they contain a whole lot of nutrients.
Groundnuts are rich source of vital nutrients. They are among the cheapest nuts, available abundantly all over the world. They are often referred to as the poor man’s protein. They are considered a very healthy snack. Although small in size, they play a vital nutritional role and contain amazing health benefits.
Health benefits of groundnuts
- Fight depression: Groundnuts are good sources of tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid which is important for the production of serotonin (one of the key brain chemicals involve in mood regulation). When depression occurs, a decreased amount of serotonin may be released from the nerve cells in the brain. tryptophan may raise serotonin’s antidepressant effects when there is an increased amount of serotonin in the blood.
- Healthy heart: Though they contain a lot of fat but these fats are very healthy for the heart. They contain both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats which are both good fro maintaining the health of the cardiovascular system.
- Excellent source of protein: Groundnuts contain more protein than meat and two and half times more protein than you can obtain from eggs. Proteins form the base of all the enzymes and are also digested to produce amino acids which form the building blocks of all cellular material.
- Fights stomach cancer: Groundnuts contain high concentration of poly-phenolic antioxidants. P-coumaric acid has the ability to reduce the risk of stomach cancer by reducing the productions of carcinogenic nitrous amine.
- Low chances of stroke: Groundnuts contain the antioxidant – Resveratol, which prevents heart strokes by increasing the production of nitric oxide.
- Helps in fertility: Groundnuts are rich in folates (folic acid) which are known for boosting fertility. If taken before and after pregnancy, the folic acid lowers the risk of baby being born with serious neural tube defects reduced by up to 70%.
Join our community. Like us now
- Blood sugar regulation: They contain manganese which helps in calcium absorption, fats and carbohydrates metabolism and sugar level regulation in the blood.
- Reduces weight gain: Women who eat peanuts or peanut butter at least twice a week are less likely to be susceptible to obesity than those who don’t.
- Rich in energy: Groundnuts contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other nutrients. Thus, they are rich energy sources.
- Healthy skin: Apart from satisfying hunger pangs, groundnuts also make the skin smooth, supple and younger looking. The anti-inflammatory properties in groundnuts treat skin disorder like psoriasis and eczema. The fatty acids in them also reduce swelling and skin redness. The vitamin E, zinc and magnesium in groundnuts keep the skin glowing from within and fight the bacteria that lead to acne.
- Healthy hair: Groundnuts contain several hair friendly nutrients that are beneficial for maintaining healthy hair. They contain high level of omega 3 fatty acids which strengthens scalp health and hair follicles to promote hair growth.
While this amazing food helps keep you healthy, it does not stop the need to see your doctor.