Foods that increase fertility in males and females – this will help those having fertility problems to boost their fertility.
Infertility is the term used to describe the inability to make a baby. This is a condition that affects both men and women and it can prevent one from starting a family. So many reproductive-age couples have trouble conceiving or sustaining a pregnancy. About one-third of these cases are due to male fertility problem, one-third are due to female infertility problem, while the rest are due to factors involving both partners or to unexplained causes.
Causes of infertility
- Lifestyle and medical history: this include smoking, drinking of alcohol, use of illegal drugs, intake of anabolic steroids, poor nutrition, chronic illness, certain medications, exposure to toxins, obesity, STIs, and many more.
- Varicoceles (enlarged veins) in the scrotum.
- Blockage in the ejaculatory duct that prevents sperm from getting into ejaculate fluid. This is an ejaculation problem that affects some men.
- Little or no sperm which can be caused by hormonal imbalances, diseases or injury in the urinary or genital organs.
- Unexplained infertility
- Hormonal problems
- Abnormalities of the male reproductive organs
- Environmental factors such as pollution or occupational hazards
- Over intense exercise
- Excessive stress
- Inadequate zinc and vitamin C in the diet
- Tight underwear
- Damaged sperm ducts
- Klinefelter’s syndrome
- Ovulatory dysfunction
- Pelvic Adhesions
- Unexplained infertility
- Urine or cervical causes
- Fibroids and polyps
- Tubal disease
- Smoking and consumption of alcohol
- Premature menopause
- Scarred ovaries
- Unruptured follicle syndrome
- Abdominal disease
- Previous surgeries
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Environmental and occupational hazards
Foods that increase fertility in males and females
Healthy Tips to Help Increase Fertility
- Eat more healthy unsaturated fats
- Eat more complex carbohydrates such as fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole grains
- Daily intake of multivitamins that contains at least 400 micrograms of folic acid and 40 to 80 milligrams of iron
- Drink coffee and tea in moderation
- Your weight should be in the fertility zone; that is, a BMI of 18.5 to 24
- For weight management, exercise 30 to 60 minutes daily
- Women should consume yams, low-fat milk, and lean protein such as turkey and chicken
- Men should eat pumpkin seeds, citrus fruits, tomatoes, berries, carrots, red peppers, apricots
- Consumption of salmon, walnuts, boiled eggs, leafy greens, whole grain bread, blueberries, and raspberries
Join Our Community. Like Us Now
Avoid these foods
- Full fat dairy
- Processed Meats
- High mercury fish such as raw shellfish, shark, swordfish, king mackerel, white snapper, etc.
- Caffeinated beverages (if to be taken, it should be in moderation)
- Alcohol and soda
- Certain cheese
- Raw eggs
- Sugar and bad carbohydrates like white bread, cookies, cakes, white rice, etc.
- Tonic water
- Unfiltered tap water
- Trans fats found in baked goods, animal products, margarine, French fries, etc.
There are certain things that can destroy your sperm. They are known as “sperm killers”. They include:
- Heat exposure or overheating
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Cell phones: it is advisable that men should carry their phones in their briefcase rather than in pockets in order to limit radiation exposure.
- Wearing of tight underwear
- Placing a laptop on the thigh is wrong. Your laptop should be placed on the desk.
- Having high fever: this can have the same effect as wet heat on a man’s sperm
While these foods that increase fertility in males and females help you boost your fertility, it does not stop the need for you to see your doctor.