Find the best food to eat after appendix surgery and what not to eat for a time being in this comprehensive guide on diet plan for appendicitis.
An appendix is a small pouch, shaped like a finger, which projects from the colon on the right side of the abdomen.
Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix, a 3 ½-inch long tube of tissue that extends from the large intestine (known as the colon). Appendicitis is a medical emergency that requires prompt surgery to remove the appendix. Left untreated, an inflamed appendix will eventually burst, spilling infectious materials into the abdominal cavity. This can lead to a serious inflammation of the abdominal cavity’s lining (the peritoneum)-an illness known as peritonitis.
What causes appendicitis?
Appendicitis occurs when the appendix becomes blocked, often by stool, a foreign body or cancer. A blockage may also occur as a result of infection since the appendix swells in response to an infection in the body.
Symptoms of appendicitis
- Unable to pass stool
- Anorexia (loss of appetite)
- Painful urination
- Dull pain near the navel or the upper abdomen that becomes sharp as it moves to the lower right abdomen. This is usually the first sign.
- Constipation or diarrhea with gas
- Nausea and/or vomiting soon after abdominal pain begins
- Vomiting that precedes the abdominal pain
- Fever of 99-102 degrees Fahrenheit
- Sudden pain beginning on the lower right portion of the abdomen
Foods to help prevent appendicitis
There is no way you can prevent appendicitis. However, appendicitis is less common in people who eat foods that are rich in fiber, such as fresh fruits and vegetables.
Food to Eat After Appendix Surgery – Diet Plan for Appendicitis:
- Fruit diet for 2-3 days, three meals a day of fresh juicy fruits
- Fruit and milk diet for further 3 days
- For breakfast: fruits and milk followed by nuts, if desired
- Lunch: steamed vegetables, 2 or 3 whole wheat and a glass of buttermilk
- Dinner: a bowl of fresh green vegetables with lime juice dressing and a glass of buttermilk
- Bedtime: a glass of fresh milk or an apple.
Foods to Avoid After Appendix Surgery
- Coffee, tea and aerated drinks
- Animal-based foods
- Canned foods and juices
- Fried foods
- Fatty meats and cooked eggs
- Bakery items which contain refined cereal and white flour
- Beans and broccoli
- Canned fruits and fruit juices
- Spices and pepper
- Sweets and items that have sugar
- Oil, butter and other fat sources
What these tips on food to eat after appendix surgery will help you heal faster and avoid risky pain, you can ask your doctor for more diet plan.