7 health benefits of garden egg – Garden eggs are one of the healthiest foods with so many health benefits.
Garden egg, also called egg plant is known to be a member of the vegetable family. It contain nutrients which include calcium, iron, beta-carotene, vitamin B6, vitamin E, folate, magnesium, fibre, and many essential vitamins and minerals. They come in two shades; the cream and green colour. They are not particularly tasty or sweet but they are of immense benefits to those who eat them. They contain phytonutrients such as nasunin and chlorogenic acid. They are cheap and widely available. They are a highly valued delicacy and constituent of the African food. Garden egg is generally said not to contain huge amount of protein and other nutrients, but very rich in dietary and potassium, a necessary salt that helps in maintaining the function of the heart and regulates blood pressure. Consumption of plant foods like garden egg decreases the risk of obesity, overall mortality, diabetes and heart disease.
7 health benefits of garden egg you should know:
Health benefits of garden egg
- Aids in weight loss: Garden egg is a perfect food option for those interested in losing weight because of its high fibre content. It fills up the tummy quickly, thereby reduces consumption of other high calories options.
- Lowers cholesterol levels: The fibre content in garden egg helps to lower cholesterol levels in the human body, thereby protecting the heart in the process.
- Aids in digestion: Garden egg improves the digestive system, beneficial for constipation and ruling out bloating totally.
- Prevents heart diseases: Garden egg is rich in vitamins and particularly has vitamin B1 and B6 (thiamin and niacin) in abundance. These vitamins are necessary for the proper functioning of the heart and cellular respiration. The rich potassium content also helps in regulating blood pressure.
- Fights diabetes: It contains low soluble carbohydrates and a lot of fibre which help to lower blood sugar levels and control glucose absorption.
Join our community. Like us now
- Anti-cancer: The antioxidants in garden egg help prevent cancer cells from forming in the body by attacking the free radicals which cause tumours and cancers.
- Prevents diseases: Garden egg is rich in antioxidants which include phenolic acid, anthocyanins, flavonoids compounds that help to protect against stress and diseases. They prevent ageing, inflammations and neurological diseases.